Saturday, October 5, 2013

Apples, Apples, Apples...and a FREEBIE!

First of all just a quick reminder for all of my parents that Monday, October 7th is our field trip to the Peach Tree Farm.  I sent a note home yesterday about the field trip, as well as a chaperone expectation letter for those of you that are joining us on our trip.  If you've never been to the Peach Tree Farm I think you'll really enjoy it.  Below is a picture of my two little girlies at the farm last October.  I can't wait to bring them back again this year.  It is our yearly October tradition.

This week we finished up our themed unit on Apples.  I love thematic teaching!  I'll share a few of the things we did this week here.  During our CAFE instruction, I introduced nonfiction features through the use of Gail Gibbons book entitled, Apples.  You can check her book out below.
                                    Apples
The class used resources from Deanna Jumps Apples Math and Literacy Activities thematic unit.
                                                 Apples! Math and Literacy Activities
They used a bubble map to record down all of the information they already knew about apples.  We then read the book and created an apples Are, Have, Make chart.  In addition, during shared reading we read a variety of fictional poems and books about apples.  Students were to locate rhyming words and sight words in the shared dreading activities they were involved in.  The culmination of our unit included an apple tasting where students got to taste test three different types of apples.  We then graphed created a graph and a pictograph about our favorite apples.  Afterwards, the students wrote about the data they collected.   I didn't bring my camera these days, so I don't have any pictures to share as of now.  My plan is to get some pictures and update this post sometime this weekend of our apple fun so you can see it.  Please come back to see them soon!  Below are a few pictures of the students during our math rotations.  After our mini-lesson, students go to a fact games station, paper practice at their seats, computers, Promethean (that's our Activboard), or they work with Mrs. Hogan or Mrs. Dusenberg in a guided math station.  Please enjoy the pictures below!

Playing an addition game called "Shake Those Beans."

Another group playing "Shake Those Beans."

And yet another group playing, "Shake Those Beans."

Math games on the computer.



I am working on creating some materials to use in my classroom to explore the life of Christopher Columbus.  I haven't gotten far...but I thought I'd share the FREEBIES I have created so far.  Click on the picture below to grab your copies.  ENJOY!



2 comments:

  1. Don't forget to check out what we will be doing next week on our Academic Updates page.

    ReplyDelete

www.hogansfirstgrade.blogspot.com