Monday, January 21, 2013

Honoring MLK, Jr.

This past week I introduced Martin Luther King, Jr. to my firsties.  I introduced this great civil rights leader with a little video of the book Martin’s Big Words by Doreen Rapport.  I got my little video from Streaming Discovery.  Click HERE to see it.  {WARNING:  This site requires a subscription to view}  If you’re a teacher you definitely need Streaming Discovery if you don’t already have it.  I use it so much for my little ones when teaching Social Studies and Science.  The video clips are amazing and it brings the concepts to life for my kiddies.

I got this FAB unit from Megan Mitchell at TpT called  MLK, Jr. Unit for Primary TeachersIt’s a great little unit.  My kiddies were in LOVE with the Martin Luther King, Jr. Song.  We sung that thing several times and they didn’t want to stop I tell you!!  I heard them humming and singing the words to the song for the rest of the day. 

I’ve read lots of books on Martin Luther King Jr.  We’ve also learned about some of the other famous individuals of that time through literature, such as Rosa Parks and Ruby Bridges.  We added some interesting words to our words chart such as equality, freedom, hope, change, dream, world.  We made these cute little MLK, Jr. silhouettes.  The students had to choose three of our new interesting words {vocabulary words} to add to their silhouettes.  We then glittered them all up to make em’ fancy and voila we have some Kingly Words to add to our hallway décor.

                      100_3169

 

                     100_3170

We also did this little MLK, Jr. Was, Had, Wanted chart to display our learning on Martin Luther King. Jr.  The kiddies LOVED our little egg experiment too.  I bought some brown eggs and white eggs at the store, brought them into school, and discussed their differences.  Of course the kids mentioned the color and size of the eggs.  Cracked em’ open and let the kids see that they were the same in the inside.  This prompted a great conversation on equality.  LOVE my little firsties and their innocence.  They were truly appalled to learn of some of the things that happened in that time frame to individuals of color.  They have so much love and kindness for all….as it should be! 

In the eye’s of a child you’ll see….the world as it should be!  Source:  unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

www.hogansfirstgrade.blogspot.com